Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Visitation at Arts High School

I went to visit Arts High School on Friday, December 7. It was nice being in math classroom. There were two classes, an SAT junior class and a math applications senior class. The students in both classes did not listen to the teacher and were very noisy. They were also being disrespectful to each other and the teacher. This kids had difficulty with math and understanding some of the concepts they had to learn. The teacher was very nice and I liked her a lot. If I had to spend the day at Arts High School again, I would want to spend the day with her. I got to interact with the students and help them with the questions that the teacher assigned to them. I enjoyed interacting with the students and I learned a lot from them. There were two computers in the room and they worked very slow. The students did not have any type of textbooks except for the math applications class. However, their textbook remained in the classroom. The teacher mostly used worksheets to teach lessons. In addition, she had students go up to the board and do problems from the tests and homework to make the students feel confident in doing math problems. Arts High School was different from when I went for the orientation. When I went for the orientation it was more quiet and the students seemed well behaved. Then when I was there on Friday, the students were being disrespectful to each other, cursing in the hallways, and some did not even care that they were in school. I also got to go to a meeting for all math and English teachers. The meeting was about how teachers should be making their tests look like what is going to be on standardized tests and the HSPA. It was a very interesting meeting because the teachers were complaining about the students how they are being disrespectful and showing up late to class. The teachers said that some students come an hour late to school and they do not care at all.

No comments: